Saturday, August 27, 2005

 

A long time

A long time

It has being a long time since I last blog properly on my blog… haiz.. maybe its time to tell people more about what is happening to me and what I made to happen on other people.

Blog Design

Well.. as u can see, my blog now has a new design. It combines key elements of the old flash and non-flash blog, making it one of the most flexible and powerful design ever! I’m not sure about its aesthetic appeal though.

Some people claims that this new design is “nice”, while one particular person whom I cared for so so so much causally remarked “lame” which causes me to care less about her immediately because there is no point caring about someone who doesn’t care.

Oh well.. just kidding..

School Work

Finally, I will catch up wif FMA (if I work hard tml and finish tutorial 15 section b) and caught up with FMB (starting to do mechanics 2 soon) and physic (no nid do tutorial one)… Yeah! I’m out of tutorial lagging hell.. Haiz.. but I do not know what that I didn’t know. There is still a lot of knowledge to acquire the knowledge of.

Promo Exams

Was quite happy to discover that most of the topics that resulted in my flop of FMA test during the common test will not be coming out in the promo. So good luck to me!!!

Computing Coursework

I shall not elaborate much here, but it is during this where I become increasing NOT in-favor of Alvin. During one incident when I told him that “Moral Integrity is important” (I firmly believe in this and let myself be guided by the need to uphold moral integrity), he said 2 words that make me hate him forever.

“Shut up!”

That does it.

Politics

JunZhe told me that he will never be involved in politics, simply because he believes in freedom of speech. This is very true. Look at how politicians restrict our freedom!!! We can say anything we want, if politics don’t exist.
Propaganda!

Today, I saw an “ADVERTISEMENT” on mrt, stressing the importance of preventing mosquitoes from breeding. Although the motive is good, this simple poster demonstrated to me the power of propaganda.

The poster goes smth like this:


Ok good. Lets now take a look.
Let number of mosquitoes in Singapore be X
According to the poster, number of fatalities resulted from dengue fever (assuming 1 mosquito will only bite once, and one bite will cause 1 case of fever, 100 hundred eggs are laid each time) will be
X*100/50 = 2X fatalities

Conclusion, one mosquito will cause 2 fatalities, even when I kept figures at minium (a mosquito will only bite once in its life). This data simply means that for every mosquito in singapore, there will be 2 people dying from dengue. Wow! Singapore will be wiped out by now.

In actual fact,
50% of all mosquitoes lay eggs
50% of all mosquitoes bites
out of a few hundred eggs, only <100 hatches
one bite not = one dengue fever

Using this information, we have (assume number of hatched eggs is 50%, 50% of all bites result in dengue fever)

(((X/2)*50)/2)/50 = 1/4X

This figure is 1/8 that of the figure claimed by the propaganda..

Well, if you are still not convinced, lets examine this sentence:


This means that 2% of all cases are fatal. Wait a minute, the statement says “MAY BE FATAL”. This means that the actual fatality rate is only less than 2%.

If, in actual fact, there is only 1% fatality, you divide it by 2, you get 0.5 out of 50 cases are fatal. This fits perfectly into the logic that 1/50 cases MAY BE fatal, since the figure is rounded up..

Hence, the actual value can be any number between 1% to 2%...

The power of propaganda… making 1% become 2%...
Amazing isn’t it

In The End

Ok la… I’m going to sleep soon. Goodnight everyone. Enjoy JC life while you can(wait, don’t boo me!) because NS is WORST!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]