Thursday, December 29, 2005

 

Organising my music collection

School is about to start soon, and now its time for me to organise my large music collection dating back to those songs that i've gotten in my secondary school days.

Infact, i have absolutely no idea how to begin organising it, so i thought that i'll just begin anyway. My music collection span from techno to baroque, from J-pop to apecalla with the likes of Crazy Frog and Hamster Dance. To make the matter worst, my music files are scattered all over, from Original CDs to the harddrive on my desktop and on my laptop. There are hell lot of duplication. Sigh

After much consideration, i decided to only store the most recent songs that i am listening to on my laptop, while dumping the rest onto my 80GB drive on my desktop. So here i am, transfering songs to and fro my laptop and desktop. To speed up the transfer, i opted for a lan cable, instead of using the sluggish wireless connection. While looking through the collection in my desktop, i also stumbled across several old but nice songs, such as those from crazy frog, Kan Wo 72 Pian from Jolin and Dang Ni from Cyndi. So i'll be transfering them to my MD soon. I'll also be getting more MDs tommorrow since i'm quickly running out of them. I currently own 4 1GB Hi-MD and 5 regular 74Minutes MDs that can be formated into HI-MD mode, giving it a total memory of 280MB. Cool isn't it. The best thing about all this is that MD uses a Sony audio format, known as Atrac3plus. And at 64kbps (half the file size of regular MP3 files), it sounded better, if not similar to that of an mp3 file twice its size. Consequently, my 280MD HI-MD would seem like 560MB, while my 1GB HI-MD would seem like 2GB. Thats really something isn't it. And to top it off, a 280MB (or 560MB if you prefer) costs only around 2bucks, while the 1GB (or 2GB) HI-MD costs only 12 dollars. Cool isn't it? To top it off, a HI-MD player, with its ultra high quality recording and optical line in (an optical line in transfers audio signal digitally from other audio devices, using fiber optical cables, and i happen to have a Sony discman that can do that) costs only around 300 dollars. Of course, if you prefer more fancy designs and features, there are higher end models available. The key is this: No matter which unit you bought, you can enjoy unlimited storage space! This is unlike conventional mp3 players where you pay more for more space.

Ok enough about advertising. Am currently transfering song from a DRM protected CD. When i insert that CD into my laptop, i can only play its song via a special audio player residing on the CD. Other than the files for the Audio Player, there is absolutely nothing else on the CD. So how do i rip the CD? Impossible. But with Sony Hi-MD, anything is possible. I just place the CD into my discman, and hook up the optical cable with my Hi-MD player. Hit play on the discman, and record on the Hi-MD. Its done. All track marks and CD-TEXT are transfered over automatically. So much for CD copy protection!

After i'm done with transfering, i'll get on with my *sigh* GP homework.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]