Friday, November 10, 2006

 

It all began with a wheelchair

 
It all began with a wheelchair. 
 
An unfortunate indian living at my block was wheelchair bounded. Looking at our society, we all know that even the most abled bodied person could not find any job. The endless queue of job seekers that appeared every weekday at Ang Mo Kio MRT station is an evidence to this. When I first saw the queue I thought people were queuing for freebies or lucky draw, since everyone seems to hold a number car.
 
Unwilling to defy expectations, the wheelchaired indian at my block seemed to be without a job, as I often see him around the area at times where people were jailed in their offices and factories. Perhaps his job involves rolling around the neighbourhood on wheelchair? I highly doubt it.
 
However, it never fail to puzzle me how did he support himself. Judging from the look of it, he has no family. And his wheelchair looks quite expansive. Certainly not a gold one, but a feature packed one.
 
This questioned puzzled me for several months, until the study leave came and I get to be at home on weekdays in the day.
 
It was then, when I saw his purpose in life.
 
It was then, when I saw what kept him alive.
 
It was then, when I understood the value he stood for (although he can't stand).
 
It was then, when I discovered that a tiny grass patch at my block had turned into Jurong Bird Park, but with only one species of bird and nobody to clean the bird shit.
 
Presenting to you, the pigeon's haven.
 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
 
 
 
  
The pole you see at the left of the first picture actually held a sign saying "No feeding of birds", but I guess he is iterate as well, which is why he could not, or did not want to find a job.
 
Granted, the sight of feathered fiends swooping from the sky towards you and hoping about infront of you is a rare and fine sight. But what about the environment? The exterior wall of the second storey of the HDB flat right above where the birds are is already molested with piles of slimy bird droppings.
 
Other than the birds, he had new visitors when I went down to take this photos today. 3 to 5 more people, evidently his friends, were happily talking loudly goggling at girls and birds alike.
 
That gives a new meaning to "bird-brained".
 
Note: I'm not trying to be racist here, and neither am I one. But in order to describe that guy as much as possible and without disclosing his identity, I can only mention Wheel-chaired indian. Noticed that displeasure is directed towards him, but not his race. If the person is a Chinese I will also display similar displeasure.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]