Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

Christmas Present: Picoo-Z

My first Christmas present this year came in the form of a 40 dollar voucher from a dear blog reader for me to get Picoo-Z, the cheap R/C helicopter of my dream.
 
 
After girlfriend's job today, we went over to Taka to take a look at the Picoos. I wanted to get a blue model, but was disappointed to discover that all the models available are yellow! But neverthless, I bought 1 after careful looking (some had slight imperfection on the remote or the helicopter).
 
Once I reached home, I literally ripped the box open to have a closer look at the small gem.

Can't resist it any longer, I loaded up the remote control with 6 AAs lying around the house and started charging. Charging takes around 20 minute. So I had a long wait.

The first flight was a disaster. It kept spining on the spot and was very hard to steer and control. I was impossible to make it fly forward. It lasted about 5 minutes before the battery gave up. Following the advise on forums, in order to prolong to battery life (get more flight time), I ran it the heli till the auto battery cut-off mechanism cuts in, and switch off the heli automatically to prevent me from completely draining the battery (and causing harm to the battery.)

Then I let it sit on the sofa for 15 minutes before I begin charging again. Indeed, the second flight time was slightly longer.

Also, I added tapes to the nose of the helicopter as shown below.

It was done to "catch" some of the downward wind due to the main rotors, thus pushing the front of the helicopter downwards, making it tilt at an angle automatically. Titling at the angle allows the helicopter to direct some of the downthrust backwards, allowing it to fly forward. (Learnt about forces acting on an helicopter during a Physics of Flight workshop conducted at Hwa Chong Insitution when I was in Chinese High.)

Now I had a heli that constantly flies forward slowly after take off, making it possible to carefully steer the thing around my smallish bedroom, landing it anywhere I want. Careful and gentle adjustments to the throttle is key.

Now charging it for the third flight.

I know I have thanked you many times, but still, thank you, the particular blog reader for such a wonderful Christmas present!


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]